Thursday, December 3, 2009

Holiday coffee can treat containers...

I have been saving (i.e. hoarding) my husband's Illy coffee cans for a very long time now and I keep intending to make great treat containers for whatever the next holiday is, but never seem to get around to it. I can't recycle them because they are too good to get rid of- they are solid, have great screw tops- you get the idea. I now have accumulated enough of a stash that it is impinging on my stamp storage space, so I decided they must be used for my next stamp class.

The coffee people didn't plan well for crafters like me. These cans are 11.5" in circumference, so you need to use 12x12 paper to get around the can- if they were just a bit smaller, you could use a vertical half sheet of 8.5X11 card stock, which would really be more convenient!



For this can, I started with a 4x12" strip of Chocolate Chip and randomly stamped snowflakes in the same ink all over it. Then I punched an eyelet border on both sides of a 4.25" strip of Garden Green and overlaid a strip of Merry Moments Designer paper. I adhered the patterned paper to the Chocolate Chip with strong adhesive from my ATG gun and adhered the whole thing to the can with Tacky Tape.
I stamped the snowflake ornament from the Delightful Decorations set in Garden Green craft ink and embossed with clear EP, then punched out the image with the ornament punch (I love not having to cut these out by hand!!). I hung the ornament from the Real Red grosgrain ribbon with a little hook I made from wire- really simple to make and darned cute!

For the top, I stamped and embossed a snowflake in Real Red and layered it onto nested circles made from Real Red, Garden Green and Chocolate Chip card stock. I added a circle layer on the bottom of the can to write the "To: and From:" since my Ornament was tacked down to the can with glue dots. You could also add a tag for that info onto the ribbon, but I didn't want it to detract from my cute ornament!

One important note: the inside edge of the can is a bit sharp since it had a pull top lid inside to keep the coffee fresh. I tried several ways to soften that edge and finally settled on a layer of Crystal Effects glue which covered the sharp edge perfectly.

These cans can be filled with cellophane bags full of cookies and other treats, or maybe some craft supplies for stamping friends!

Thanks for stopping by~

 




Supplies:
Stamps: Snowburst, Delightful Decorations
Paper: Chocolate Chip, Garden Green, Real Red, Very Vanilla, Merry Moments DP
Ink: Real Red, Garden Green Craft
Accessories: Wide Real Red grosgrain ribbon, Ornament punch, Eyelet edge punch, wire, Sizzix machine, nested dies

No comments:

Post a Comment