Saturday, June 12, 2010

Hybrid Father's Day card

Happy Saturday Everyone! I'm finally finished cleaning up from last night's stamp class- boy were we a late night group- almost midnight! We had a great time as usual with both new friends and old. As promised, I wanted to post this hybrid card we made last night for Father's Day.

What's hybrid? A hybrid card or scrapbook page uses elements that are produced digitally with others that are "real"- real ribbon, buttons, etc. What's the advantage of hybrid? You can store a whole lot of digi stamps and patterned paper on your computer without taking up any room in your crafting area. If you've ever seen my craft room closet, you know this is a definite bonus for me-lol! The advantage of digi papers is that you can print as much or as little as you like when you need them.

Stampin' Up has a program called My Digital Studio that allows you to quickly and easily make digital cards, scrapbook pages, invitations, etc. You can print entire cards or just elements to use on hybrid cards, like we did in the Father's Day card. If you're a Photoshop user like me, you can simply use all the digi stamps, paper and accessories that come with My Digital Studio in Photoshop. It's easy to make color swatch palettes in Photoshop so you have all the SU colors at your disposal as you create- totally easy and fun!


For this card, I dgitially "stamped" the ties from the Father's Day Stamp Brush set in Pumpkin Pie, Baja Breeze, So Saffron and Soft Suede on a white 4x6 background- in the portrait layout, I could fit two per page to save paper when I printed. I made my own greeting for the outside just using a text box in Photoshop- you can also do this with Word if you want a different greeting that what the set comes with. I printed the striped paper from the Travel Journal digital paper set for the bottom half of the card- it exactly matches the real Travel Journal paper pack and I don't end up with pages I'll never use. A little Soft Suede dotted ribbon and a button from the retired stash were the only accesories to keep it simple for a guy card!


The inside is finished simply with the Father's Day greeting, corners punched with the Ticket Corner punch to frame it out nicely. This will be the perfect card for hubby for Father's Day since he's a tie wearing kind of guy!

If you missed the class, or live outside the Houston area, and want a kit email me and I will get one out to you- $15 for the 6 cards + treat box and $2 shipping. I'll be posting the last card in the kit tomorrow- a bright July 4th card!

Hope you're having a relaxing weekend! 

 




Supplies:
Stamps: Father's Day Digital Stamp Brush kit
Paper: Soft Suede, Baja Blue, Travel Journal DP, Whisper White
Digi Ink: Soft Suede, Pumpkin Pie, So Saffron, Baja Blue
Accessories: Soft Suede dotted grosgrain ribbon, dimensional dots, button, hemp twine, ticket corner punch

No comments:

Post a Comment