Saturday, January 9, 2010

BRRRR.....

I am a sturdy New England girl, transplanted to Houston by my husband (also a New England guy), for work about 10 years ago. I constantly complain about the heat and humidity and crave some fresh, cool air. I clearly have forgotten what cold is until this morning- it was 18 degrees when I woke up-yikes! Now being a Southerner,  the first thing I did was to see if our pool was still running and if our outdoor pipes had frozen (actually, being a Southern lady, I kicked my husband outside to check on that-LOL!)! Somehow in during those intervening years I have become a wimp!

I am very happy, though, to finally have the weekend off after a very busy week+ at work. I plan to stay in my pajamas as long as possible and clean up my craft room (page me if I don't reappear by Monday morning!).

I have been playing a bit more with my new sewing machine and really loving it! I haven't sewed on much fabric yet, but that will come in time- too many cards to make! These Sweet Pea felt flowers from the new Occasions Mini catalog from Stampin' Up are perfect for a stitched card.


I started with a Chocolate Chip 5.75" square card base and layered on patterned paper from the Sweet Pea DP series set. This paper pack is like some of the big paper slabs from Michaels or K&Co and the designs and colors are great! I stitched each patterned paper layer to plain card stock for contrast, then adhered them to the card with my glue runner. I tied a simple knot using some brown suede ruffled ribbon on the last DP layer before adhering.

I cut out the blue square using a nested die on my Sizzix machine, then laid out the flower pieces and marked their positions with pencil before stitching the "stems". They ended up pretty close to where I intended- not perfect, but good enough! The edges were sponged with Bashful Blue ink and the felt flowers and buttons were adhered with Tombow multi glue.



On the inside, I stitched some of the polka dot DP to a 5.5" white panel, adhered it to the inside of the card, then stamped the greeting. Note: stamp the greeting before assembly in case the position isn't good- it's a major bummer to ruin the card after it's all assembled!

Hope you have a great day- keep warm!

 




Supplies:
Stamps: Well Scripted
Paper: Sweet Pea DP, Chocolate Chip, Whisper White, Bashful Blue
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Bashful Blue
Accessories: Sweet Pea felt flowers, Sizzix machine, nested dies, brown suede ribbon, sewing machine, buttons

1 comment:

  1. oooooh -- I love these! I especially love those stitched flowers -- WOW!

    ReplyDelete