Monday, October 26, 2009

And the broom you rode in on...

I'm sure this is the image my son has of me today after a "discussion" about appropriate school clothes this morning-LOL! Mommy did not agree with the favorite, worn out shorts and T-shirt he had dressed himself in and he was a complete grump when I made him change. He even tried the tactic of trying to recruit daddy to his side, which I promptly cut off- he hasn't figured out that I'm wise to his tricks! After that little tussle, a witchy card seemed in order!


I've had this Halloween set from MFT since last year and haven't had a chance to ink it up yet, so today seemed like a good day to get the witch in me going (since I was already on a roll!). I stamped the witch image twice- once on Whisper White card stock and once on a bright green patterned paper from Halloween paper stack by K&Co. I cut out the witch's dress from the green image and pasted it over the white image- this technique is called paper piecing and is a great way to add color and texture to an image. It's a bit like applique but with paper instead- a really fun technique when you start using it!

The rest of the image was colored with alcohol markers and glitter markers on the sun and her boots. I used 3 shades of violet, blending the streaks of color together, to make a spooky sky- it looks a bit like she's flying through some fog!

I stamped some bats in Taken With Teal on the card background and layered some funky striped DP on the bottom. I have been dying to use my new velvet ric rac and this seemed like the perfect card for it- I definitely have a thing for ric rac! The image and it's contrasting layers were cut out using a set of nested dies on my Sizzix machine, as was the greeting. I am in love with the new fancy labels dies- they add a bit more than a standard die or punch with their detailed edges! A few rhinestones around the edges and she's off!

Hope you're having a good day wherever you park your broom!








Supplies:
Paper: Taken with Teal, Basic Black, Whisper White, K&CO Halloween pack
Ink: Pigment black ink
Accessories: Velvet ric rac, Sizzix machine, nested dies, Modern Label punch, glitter and alcohol markers, dimensionals

No comments:

Post a Comment