Friday, March 26, 2010

Easter Blooms...

I have had a pack of watercolor paper gathering dust for who knows how long and I finally decided it was time to break it open and give my markers a rest for a change! The main image from the "Bloomin' Beautiful" really lends itself to watercoloring and hydrangeas really are my favorite flower.



When you use water on an image, either to watercolor directly or to blend watercolor pencils, you need to use an alcohol ink so it won't run or smear when you begin painting over the top. I stamped the flower pot image in StazOn Jet Black, let it dry for a few moments, then used an Aquapainter and ink refills to color in the image. I am much too lazy to use a regular brush and cup of water and I love how the Aquapainter releases just the right amount of water as you paint.

I usually start by spreading an even layer of ink, then I go back to add more color to highlight areas- you can always add more, but it's hard to take away! After the image was dry. I cut it out using a nested die on my Sizzix machine and layered it onto an embossed Bashful Blue base and card, with some Old Olive wide striped ribbon for contrast. The greeting is highlighted in a fancy frame and gives it a special, spring feel!

This is one of the cards my stamp group will make tonight, so hopefully they have as much fun painting as I did!

Have a great weekend~






Supplies:
Stamps: Bloomin' Beautiful
Ink: StazOn Jet Black; Bashful Blue, Mellow Moss, Creamy Caramel, Summer Sun ink refills
Paper: Bashful Blue, Whisper White, watercolor paper
Accessories: Sizzix machine, Perfect Polka Dots Embossing folder, Old Olive wide striped grosgrain ribbon, large oval punch, Aquapainter, dimensionals

1 comment: