Saturday, March 27, 2010

Inspired by Nature...

Just a quick post today to share one of the cards we made at my stamp class last night. I am blessed to have such a great group- what a fun time we had!

I try to teach one or two new techniques each class to keep pushing everyone to try new things on their own. This card uses the "Easel" layout which was featured in a tutorial at Splitcoaststampers a few weeks back. I was inspired by Beate's card in the example to use a stark relief look against a patterned paper background, so chose the "Inspired By Nature" set which really lends itself to this look.


The coneflower image was stamped in Craft Black ink over the patterned paper and embossed with black embossing powder to make it really rich and dark. Note to self: be sure to rub the paper with an Embossing Buddy first to avoid any stray embossing powder, especially when using black- my first one looked like it had pollen blowing on the background! The greeting was stamped in Black and punched out with the Wide Oval punch, then layered on a black nested shape.


The inside was finished simply with a patterned paper strip and a punched border edge, which keeps the card open like an easel. There are so many great variations one can do with this card- check out the "Easel Gallery" at Splitcoast to see some beautiful cards using this technique!

I'm off to take my Girl Scout troop out for shaved ice-yum! Have a great day~

 




Supplies:
Stamps: Inspired by Nature
Paper: Basic Black, Whisper White, Walk in the Park Designer Series paper (retired)
Ink: Basic Black Craft
Accessoties: Wide Oval punch, Sizzix machine, edge punch, dotted organdy ribbon, dimensionals

1 comment:

  1. Neat idea, love my color change you helped me with. Now I just need a picture of Tom & I to sit on it like a frame for my office.

    :)JB

    ReplyDelete