Sunday, March 7, 2010

Spring has spring!

Yesterday was such a beautiful spring day here- sunny, warm sun with cool breezes, buds on all the trees- just great (all my friends up north are throwing eggs at me right about now...). The weather put me in the mood to start some Easter/Spring cards and I was inspired by some pretty paper we pulled out at my class the other night. I let everyone dig through my paper stash to make their own checkbook covers and I was totally amazed at how awesome and different each one came out!

I used a sketch from awhile back on Splitcoast Stampers Wednesday Sketch challenge as a starting point. Since I had several patterned papers that I wanted to get onto the card, this seemed like a good layout.

The card starts with a Whisper White 5-1/2" square onto which I layered a 5-3/8" harlequin patterned paper from the retired "Sarah" designer Series paper collection (2007). Each patterned square is 2-1/4", layered onto a 2-3/8" matching square. I ran some navy velvet ribbon down the middle and adhered the whole piece to the 5-3/4" Night of Navy card with dimensionals.

My little girl was colored with alcohol markers, then her dress was paper pieced over the top- she's too cute! The image and the background layers were cut with my Sizzix machine and some nested dies and I added a bow on the top to frame the image and keep with the "rule of threes"- accent colors should be repeated three times to balance the eye. My critics (my daughter and her friend) thought it "needed something", so I added an accordion flower to the corner-all better!


I have become a big fan of  finishing the inside of my cards- it takes just a little more effort, but makes a big impact! I used the new Pinking Hearts punch to make a little bordered edge which dresses it up a bit and framed the greeting with a nested shape- so springy!

This will be my mom's Easter card, so I hope you like it Grace! She digs floppy hats, so this should be right up her alley!

Have a restful Sunday~

 




Supplies:
Stamp: Circle of Friendship (retired), Digital image(girl)
Paper: Sarah Designer Series paper, Night of Navy, So Saffron, Certainly Celery, Whisper White
Accessories: Alcohol markers, navy velvet ribbon, 1-1/4" circle punch, pinking hearts edge punch, Sizzix machine, nested dies

1 comment:

  1. *sigh* So very adorable. Lovely work on each element.

    ReplyDelete