Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Santa Tag card

For some reason my family is having a difficulty adjusting to the time change this year, with the worst offender being my 8 year old son who is waking at 4:30am-ugh!  Once I'm awake at 5am, it's hard to get back to sleep so I've been piddling around in my craft room finishing projects, like this one, that have sat on my desk since the weekend. A good use of time, but I'd still rather be asleep:|




Stampin' Up has several great vintage sets for Christmas this year, including this "Jolly Old Saint Nick" set, which make beautiful tags and gift packaging easy to do.

One of the techniques I wanted to show my class this week was how to color on Kraft card stock and the different looks that can be achieved with Craft ink, Watercolor Wonder Crayons and Classic ink.



The tag was hand cut from a 3x4" Kraft rectangle with a strip of paper from the "Deck the Halls" paper set at the top for contrast. Santa was stamped in the middle using Staz On Timber Brown- I love how you can position the new clear mount stamps perfectly every time- no more wood blocks for me! Santa was colored with an aquapainter and Real Red, Whisper White and Creamy Caramel Craft reinkers. The Craft ink gives a semi-opaque finish which is nice on the Kraft card stock. I couldn't find my Black Craft reinker, so I used a Watercolor Wonder Crayon for the black pieces and it gave a very similar look.

The tag was finished with some Artichoke Seam Binding ribbon tied with some hemp twine and a strand of the cool Silver Tinsel trim (love this stuff!). The Kraft card base was layered with Very Vanilla and Cherry Cobbler, which had been run through the "Petals-a-Plenty" embossing folder on my Sizzix Big Shot machine to give it a look like poinsettias, with some silver brads added to lighten up the corners. A little hand cut banner for the greeting and one of those cool "Big Deck the Halls Buttons" and it was done! These tags would also look pretty on the front of a gift bag or tied onto a kraft paper wrapped package~

Hope you're having a good hump day- 2 more to go!

 




Supplies:
Stamps: Jolly Old Saint Nick
Paper: Kraft, Very Vanilla, Cherry Cobbler, Deck the Halls Designer Paper
Ink: Staz On Timber Brown, Craft ink refills: Real Red, Whisper White, Creamy Caramel; Black Watercolor Wonder Crayon
Accessories: Seam binding ribbon, hemp twine, silver brads, Big Deck the Halls Buttons, Silver Tinsel trim, Petals-a-Plenty embossing folder, Sizzix Big Shot machine

No comments:

Post a Comment