Friday, August 12, 2011

Seize the cake!

Somehow all the nights this week slipped by me and left me making my son's birthday card on the day of his birthday (at breakfast this morning "no cards or presents now, sweetie, we'll do that at dinner, i.e. mommy hasn't made your card yet!). I did get up early this morning with the plan to finish it before I left for work, but ran into a snag- more on that later.


Here is my birthday boy when he was born- I know everyone says this, but I can't believe how the time has flown. He was the most beautiful baby, and as a neonatologist, I know babies:) Somehow though, he whizzed from being a sweet, cuddly toddler into a skinny, gangly boy overnight- how that happened, I have no idea! He is into pirates right now and turning our moving boxes into all sorts of magical ships, so I thought this digital image by Claire Keay was perfect for his birthday card!



I decided I'd better pick my papers before coloring, which was really smart because the black and red papers I envisioned must be in storage, so this pack from an old SU scrappin' kit were the next choice.  The image was printed onto Whisper White CS on my Canon MX850 printer (the really awesome Pro Photo printer went into storage *sniff*) and colored with Copics. I stitched the various layers together on my sewing machine and added some brads and buttons for detail.

Now the frustrating part-I was adding just a little bit of shadow on the image when the grey marker let go a blob of ink and ruined the image-aaahhhh! I tried to fix it with the blender pen, to no avail, so had to reprint the image and color it again- hence, not finishing the card until now.


On a time crunch, I finished the inside simply with some of the patterned paper and the greeting. Our son is a 9-year old boy and won't spend much time reading the card, so I didn't need to leave a lot of space for writing-lol!

Hope you are all enjoying your Friday night- we're off to a birthday dinner!

Supplies:
Stamps: "Pirate Box"- Clair Keay
Paper: Crumb Cake, Whisper White, Buckaroon Blue, Pumpkin Pie, Scrappin' Kit
Accessories: Sizzix Big Shot, Nestability dies, buttons, sewing machine, silver brads, Copic markers, dimensionals, hemp twine






1 comment:

  1. This is so perfect for a nine year old who loves pirates! Time does fly by so fast, My oldest is 26 and my youngest is 8 and I can't beleave either one! lol. I hate it when I'm adding a final touch and it ruins the pic, but this image is so perfect. Love it.

    ReplyDelete