Sunday, November 22, 2009

Penguin love...


How nice it is to finally have a Sunday off to drink my coffee in my pajamas, in relative peace and quiet (well, not so quiet with the aggressive Monopoly game going on in the background!). My FIL and his sister, Aunt Elaine, arrived yesterday for the Thanksgiving holiday and it is so wonderful to see my kids enjoy their grandfather and great-aunt. They are going to wear them out before the week is out!

Aunt Elaine was going through my craft room yesterday and wanted a penguin card for a friend who loves these little creatures. Just so happens I have a penguin stamp from this year's Holiday Mini catalog in a set called Cold & Cuddly- what do I not have a stamp for??

I was inspired to use the Snowfall transparency sheets for a snowy background, after seeing the card in the Holiday mini, and layered that over a card base made from rich Razzleberry. I used vellum tape to adhere it which is relatively well concealed. You can also adhere transparencies without glue by using brads, staples, etc.

I stamped snowflakes using the Snowflurries set (retired but wonderful!) then layered a white strip punched out with a MS snowflake border punch. A little Razzleberry dotted ribbon conceals the border between the different papers and makes a nice bow. I inked the penguin in black, then wiped off his heart and colored it in Razzleberry before stamping on Whisper White paper. This is a good way to ink in different colors, especially if you only want a small accent area.

I cut the penguin out using a circle die on my Sizzix machine, then sponged a blue background with the die still in place so that the edge remains white. It's a bit hard to see in this picture, but it makes a nice contrast edge! I layered him onto a Bashful Blue circle and a Razzleberry scalloped circle, then tie a ribbon of silver cord through the top before adhering him with dimensionals to the card.

The greeting was stamped, punched out with the Designer Label punch and layered onto a Razzleberry circle. A few rhinestones on the snowflake border and around the greeting for some sparkle and he's done! He's so cute-I may need to make a bunch of these for the holidays!

Thanks for stopping by and hope you're enjoying a relaxing Sunday as well!







Supplies:
Stamps: Cold & Cuddly, Snowflurries
Paper: Rich Razzleberry, Bashful Blue, Whisper White, Snowfall transparency
Ink: Basic Black, Bashful Blue
Accessories: Designer Label punch, Sizzix machine, circle and scallop dies, Razzleberry dotted grosgrain ribbon, silver cord, vellum tape, MS snowflake border punch, rhinestones

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the colors and the pretty ribbon! Wishing we could make this one in stampin' class. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will definitely be making this one at the next class!

    ReplyDelete