Thursday, November 5, 2009

Shimmery snowflakes...

I love snowflakes for holiday cards and when Stampin' Up retired my favorite set last year, I was despondent. That was until I saw the new Serene Snowflakes set in this year's Holiday mini catalog- just gorgeous! The detail in the big snowflake is just amazing.



The image in the catalog got me stuck on blues and golds, so I decided to play around with their new Champagne Mist shimmer paint. I stamped the swirly snowflake on the Kraft background paper in Sahara Sand and then used the shimmer paint to stamp the smaller snowflakes. It gives it a bit of gold glimmer which is subtle, but pretty. I sponged the Kraft card stock and patterned paper (from the Christmas Cocoa Designer Series paper set) and layered them onto a vanilla square base.


I had to play around a bit with the shimmer paint on the big snowflake to get the look I was searching for. The image didn't show up that clearly by itself on light colored card stock using the shimmer paint alone, so I ended up stamping the snowflake first in Bordering Blue and then in the shimmer paint directly over the top using a Stamp-a-ma-jig to get the snowflakes perfectly aligned. It's hard to see in this photo but the blue shows the detail of this pretty stamp and the shimmer paint makes it glisten. I cut out the image and coordinating layers on my Sizzix machine using some nested dies and sponged all the layers before assembling to give it some softness.

I stamped a greeting from the Christmas Punch Hostess set using Soft Suede ink, punched out with the wide oval punch and layered it onto a small nested square. A little ivory organdy ribbon and a few Dew Drops and its done! This is definitely a set that will see a lot of ink this holiday season!

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

 






Supplies:
Stamps: Serene Snowflakes, Christmas Punch
Paper: Kraft, Bordering Blue, Very Vanilla, Christmas Cocoa
Ink: Sahara Sand, Bordering Blue, Soft Suede, Champagne Mist Shimmer paint 
Accessories: Sizzix machine, Wide oval punch, dimensionals, wide ivory organdy ribbon, nested dies, Stampin' sponges

1 comment:

  1. Hi...
    I must say that you have all the technical painting and art skills. My mother loved your card. It’s so impressive. It is just perfect as per your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete