Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Vintage Christmas...

Today just seems like one of those days that no matter what you try to do, you get derailed! My car is in the shop (no word for 2 days on what they think is wrong with it- that's not good), one of the toilets I ordered online for my new bathroom came cracked (and they think it's not their problem) and hubby is on his way for another 4 day trip so no backup there-ugh! I think that no matter how successful a woman becomes, or how much her husband helps out at home, when stuff comes up, the wife gets to deal with it!



OK, enough griping abut toilets- down to some stamping. I am starting to make some cards for my next class and wanted to use this sweet vintage set called "Greeting Card Kids" from Stampin' Up. This is probably my favorite set from the new Idea Book & Catalog- the images are great for coloring and there's one for each season. I stamped the image onto Very Vanilla card stock using Memento "Rich Cocoa", colored it with Copics, then cut it out using a nested die on my Sizzix Big Shot. While the die was still in place, I sponged some ink lightly in the background to make it feel a bit more aged, while leaving a clear rim to set it off. The image was layered onto another nested shape cut from Early Espresso- this is such a perfect brown color!


I usually pick my papers before I color and image and now I know why: when I got this image all done, I realized that the patterned paper I wanted to use, "Deck the Halls" has a more burgundy red in the mix-aah! I wasn't coloring a new image, so I dug through last year's paper and found this pretty red flocked piece from the "Christmas Cocoa" set. The flocking was bright white (which didn't go with the vintage feel), but a sponge and some light brown ink to the rescue and now it matches with the other papers! I used some of the new Seam Binding ribbon (wow, this ribbon ties beautifully!), a button from the "Deck the Halls" button set and some pearls to finish off the front.


The inside was finished with a greeting from the "Bright Christmas" set (gorgeous fonts!) stamped in Early Espresso and Riding Hood Red and a border of the Christmas Cocoa flocked paper punched with a scallop edge punch.

My daughter said it was way too early to start Christmas cards, but somehow the weeks between Halloween and Christmas seem to disappear. I am determined to get a few more projects done this year- so we'll see...

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by~

 
Supplies:
Stamps: Greeting Card Kids, Bright Christmas
Paper: Early Espresso, Very Vanilla, Christmas Cocoa DP (retired), Deck the Halls DP
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa, Early Espresso, Riding Hood Red
Accessories: Copics, Seam Binding ribbon, Deck the Halls buttons, Basic Pearls, hemp twine, dimensionals


1 comment:

  1. Love the cards very cute, last one is my favorite! Hope it all works out soon, i quite often have one of those days and i know what you mean hubby away (forces wife) so see your point of view.

    ReplyDelete